Horus Heresy - 30K Ruinstorm: Fallen Brothers and the Golden Shield of the Emperor

Hi Everyone! Tylar here to bring you up to date with the weekend's event and what did and didn't happen.

On to the first part. GG and I we're unfortunately unable to attend the weekend's event despite a lot of work going into it at the start. My wife and I suffered a very significant loss recently and despite my best efforts I just wasn't able to attend. This had a massive knock on effect as I was the lynch pin to GG's involvement so as a result neither of us could make it to Ruinstorm.

Sorry to GG, we'll get them next time.

I want to personally thank Andrew D and guys at GFTW for being amazing and supportive at this time but more importantly understanding. I'm thoroughly looking forwards to the next event and GG and I will be in attendance flying the Unityb4heresy flag along with King Fluff.

King Fluff however stood stalwart and with the might of his Custodes strode forth to do battle in the blog's name.
.
And boy did he hold his end up!

I'll hand you across to the man himself to give his account of the weekend. GG and I will be posting up some more hobby progress soon. Enjoy 😊


Good Evening all. Thanks to Tylar for the intro.
It was a shame we couldn't attend as a blog team but we have all signed up for the next event, which will come around really quickly.

As Tylar said I took the Emperor's finest to quell the tide of traitors. I tend to use events as a way of motivating me to put a dent in my to do pile. For this event I added a couple of infantry, Constantin Valdor, an Achillies Dreadnought and an Orion. Up to this point my custodes have been very infantry heavy so adding a couple more vehicles seemed like a good thing to do.

So here are some army shots of my force...



 




 As you can see I took one of each dreadnought for flexibility, lots of small unit infantry, a hard hitting character and an attention grabbing flyer. Not knowing what I was facing or what missions we would be playing meant that potentially I was a little light on scoring units, but with lots of flexibility with how they can get onto the battlefield meant that I could capitalise on them in game.

GAME 1 - vs Space Wolves (Chris from GFTW)
Chris very kindly stepped in to play me as at that point I was the 'odd' player. His first Heresy event and I believe the first time using Space Wolves (as he had borrowed Gary Hoptroff's army to try out). I'd never played against wolves before and it was a real chance to see to see them in action and just how amazing Leman Russ is in the flesh. High point of the game was when the Achillies dreadnought fancied his chances, charged Russ and didn't even get a chance to swing before Russ turned him to pretty slag. As Chris was a TO it meant that we weren't keeping score so that was a win to Valdor.

 



GAME 2 - vs Iron Warriors (Scott from Battle Bunnies)
I tend to bump into Scott at the GftW events but never had a chance to play him so it was great to finally be able to get a game. A hard fought game against the Iron Warriors, with Perturabo and his Siege Tyrants forming a super killy team smack bang in the centre of the table. I struggled to move them as much as Scott struggled to move the Orion. Highlight of the game had to be the Telemon deleting the Iron Havocs to one man who subsequently went on to survive the entire game on his lonesome. Custodes managed to keep the points up to score a win for Valdor.

 



GAME 3 - vs Emperor's Children (Michael)
Another really hard fought game, I believe that Michael said this was a growing force and that he was taking it to a more heretical incarnation at some point, but for now Fulgrim still had legs and he was certainly keen on using them to close the gaps with the Custodes. Highlight of the game was the Custodes infantry deep striking in behind the forces of the traitors and removing their capacity to score whilst Fulgrim made grim work of the other Custodes units as he and his super killy unit of Palatine Blades in their Spartan ran amock through the centre of the table. The score really did reflect the closeness of the game with the result being a draw.

 



GAME 4 - vs Night Lords (Rob)
Rob had previously attended (and triumphed) at a King Fluff event so it was great to get the opportunity to play him at 30K Ruinstorm. Rob had almost the exact opposite army composition to mine, loads of scoring units and loads of fast moving vehicles, with an uber unit of deep striking bikes jam packed with characters and lethal weapons. The mission we were given favoured armies that could both score and hold the line in both in the enemies deployment and no man's land, so from the get go I knew I was climbing a mountain. Highlight of the game was both of us loosing a scoring unit to deep strike mishap in consecutive turns. As the dust settled (try as I might) I just didn't have the firepower to get through Night Haunter's buffs and clear out the scoring units. I really valued this game as Rob had chosen a variant ROW that people don't tend to use with Night Lords and being a Night Lords player myself I learnt a lot about how the legion can be used. The game finished with a win to the Night Lords.  

 



GAME 5 - vs Death Guard (Matt from Heralds of Heresy)
The last game of the weekend saw me up against a beautifully painted Death Guard army. It was such a friendly game with both of us enjoying the odd mishap and my appalling (as usual) dice rolling skills. Matt had a massive infantry force supported by Jetbikes, Javelins and a Fire Raptor. we started in the corners with the majority of the objectives in the centre. I just had to get to an objective and weather the storm, as did he, I had the kit and he had the bodies. Highlights of the game had to be his mishaping unit of Destrroyers with Praetor being placed by me in the furthest reaches of nowhere for them to storm across the battlefield and bolt pistol to death Valdor who was caught out in the open after failing a 7" charge. A really close game, hard fought on both sides with the Custodes just managing to squeeze in a win for their final game.

 
  

And there we have it. I had lots of fun, it was great meeting new and old friends alike and playing some really challenging and fun games of Horus Heresy. Massive thanks to Andy & Chris and all the other GftW guys who made the event happen and I'm looking forward to the next one with Tylar and GG in attendance too.

Now the real work begins as I prepare all the resources for Cataclysm of Iron III happening at the end of this month. Stay tuned for coverage of that and other exciting stuff over the run up to Christmas.

And remember....

A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet (unless it's Erebus)
KF 

Comments