Adeptus Titanicus - Building a Wargaming Table

Hi all, Col.Hertford here with a post about my new war-gaming set up.


I’m quite lucky with my house, but I don’t currently have space for a dedicated war-gaming room. I do have a 8’x3’ dining room table, so I decided (with permission for Mrs Hertford) to build a table top for war-gaming on.

The idea was to have something light and strong that just sits on top of the table. Some people use chipboard, but I have bad experiences with this medium.  Also, it will be knock when to moved around, and chipboard tends to shed.  With this in mind I choose to use wooden batons and plywood sheets.  This allows the boards to be clamped with Quick Clamps.

The area I’ve made is three 4’x2’ sections.  This allows me to build either a 4 or 6 foot by 4 foot board and have room for beer and rule books on the table.

This is a quick project that was completed in a single day.  The finish is intentionally functional rather than craftsmen like.  If this was a permanent set up, I would have taken greater care on the cutting and joints, but speed here was of the essence.

The raw materials:


Glued and screwed batons:


Completed Top and Bottom:


In-situ on my table, without the battle mat:


The board has brought me luck, in my first game I tabled my opponent (no pun intended).  This is hopefully the first of may battles, and hopefully victories, on the table.

So there you have it, a non-permanent gaming board.  Whats your gaming set up?  Let us know in the comments below.

Comments